The Stadtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus in Munich is a museum of modern and contemporary art that is located in the Kunstareal (art district) along with some of the most well-known museums in Munich, which is the capital of the state of Bavaria.
After suffering extensive damage during World War II, the Lenbachhaus was reconstructed and reopened to the public in 1947. Since, it has become widely regarded as one of the best modern art museums in Munich.
Wassily Kandinsky and Franz Marc are credited with establishing the Blaue Reiter, which is now considered to be synonymous with an avant-garde artistic movement that emerged at the turn of the 20th century.
At the Lenbachhaus, an exhibition with the same name features works of art by eminent painters such as Franz Marc, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, and Gabriele Münter.
The '19th Century' collection addresses the subject matter that the Lenbachhaus was initially devoted to. During its first few decades, the gallery focused primarily on collecting and displaying paintings from Munich from the 19th century as well as German art from the early 20th century.
New art movements, new media such as performance and video art, and conceptual art, are taken up and shown in the collection titled 'Art after 1945.' The artists featured in this collection serve as exemplary examples of their respective fields.
The new wing of the gallery functions as a 'jewel box' for the collection's prized possessions; its exterior is clad in aluminum-copper-alloy tubes, the hue of which pairs nicely with the villa's luxurious ochre render.
Inside, a series of galleries echo the domestic scale of the settings in which the paintings were originally displayed, and display the museum's renowned collection of paintings by the early twentieth-century group Der Blaue Reiter.
The surrounding area is brought to life by the presence of a restaurant that features an open-air terrace that extends into the piazza.
The building's three-story lobby serves as the social hub of the structure, providing access for visitors to both the rotating exhibition space located on the ground floor and the galleries located on the upper levels.
This top-lit volume embraces the exterior wall of the villa and incorporates a large-scale installation by the Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson.
Luisenstraße 33, 80333 München, Germany