Rahmi M. Koç Museum, the first and only industrial museum in Türkiye, caters to those who want to spend a long and full day with its collection of over 14,000 objects, education, and workshops for kids. It does this by reflecting on the developments in the history of the industry, communications, and transportation.
Rahmi M. Koç Museum serves as a significant cultural, educational, and social hub in addition to depicting the industry's history, transportation, and communications as part of its objective to be a 'living' museum.
The three primary sections of the museum are the ancient Lengerhane Building, the storied Haskoy Dockyard, and the open-air display area.
Things to do at the Rahmi M. Koc Museum:
- Increase your expertise via educational initiatives: The Rahmi M. Koç Museum offers contemporary instruction and training with the understanding that growth and learning occur within the complex social and cultural milieu. To reach students who cannot visit the museum due to lack of chances or distance, the museum has been touring the nation with 70 chosen pieces from the collection.
- The TCG Uluçalireis Submarine Tour offers deep-sea diving: The TCG Uluçalireis Submarine is undoubtedly one of the museum's most outstanding exhibits. At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the United States, this vessel was first constructed in 1944 as the Tench-class US Navy Submarine USS Thornback (SS-418). Its length exceeds 93 meters, and its displacement exceeds 2,400 tonnes.
- Take the Nostalgic Train Tour to go back in time: On weekends and holidays, free excursions of the Hasköy-Sütlüce Railway are offered to museum patrons every hour using a 1965 Ruston & Hornsby diesel engine and vintage coaches from the 1970s built by Baguley-Drewry along the Golden Horn's coast.
- Travel to distant locations by boat with Golden Horn Boat Tours: Those who have never traveled on a steamboat might have a fascinating and distinctive experience at the Rahmi M. Koç Museum. The Golden Horn Boat Tours throughout the summer are another amusing pastime. A 30-minute trip around the Golden Horn coasts is offered by the Kont Ostrorog fishing boat throughout the workweek.
- Travel through time by seeing historical artifacts on display: The Rahmi M. Koç Museum was the first significant institution to display advancements in the history of the industry, communication, and transportation.Due to the ancient street's sound and scent effects, visitors who have the chance to stroll it may experience what it was like to be a genuine client.
- Engineering, models, and toys: With its extensive collection, the Rahmi M. Koç Museum is the heir to many different disciplines and eras and is home to several little works. In museums, various models are shown, including steam engines, engines, locomotives, and nautical, road, and rail models.
- Communication Instruments: Housed at the Mustafa V. Koç Building, this collection includes telegraphs, telephones, phonographs, gramophones, cameras, and television sets. These unique items embody the scientific communication revolution.
- Scientific Instruments: The collection illuminates the development of science and is housed in the Mustafa V. Koç Building. The collection includes a celestial globe from the 14th century and a telescope from the 19th century, among other measuring and observatory equipment.
- Aircraft types from the late 19th and early 20th century employed for training, surveillance, fighter, and bomber missions include the Douglas DC-3 and F 104S Starfighter, the B24 Liberator, and British, German, French, and Italian designs.
- Snack on regional specialties: For tourists who want a quick break while viewing the museum, there are several options, including the Coca-Cola Kiosk, the Fenerbahçe Ferry Cafe, and the Demlik Cafe at the Dockyard portion. Suzy's Cafe Du Levant has a 1930s Parisian vibe, while Halat Restaurant serves delicious Mediterranean cuisine by the sea, giving tourists moments they won't soon forget.